Project Description

Situated in the West End Lanes conservation area of Dundee St Peter’s Free Church is one of the most visited attractions in the city due and is famous worldwide.  Hundreds of people come to visit the Grade B Listed building each year from as far away as Korea and America.  This is due to the connection with Robert Murray McCheyne whose radical ministry there from 1836 came to an untimely end when he died in 1843 of typhus at the young age of 30 and was buried next to the church.

In 1987 the building was purchased by the Free Church of Scotland but the congregation was in decline and almost closed.  In 1992 it was identified as a ‘redevelopment charge’ and since then the congregation has continued to grow and develop under the ministry of David Robertson.

In 2007 the Deacon’s Court identified the need to carry out refurbishment work to the buildings in order to develop further work with the local community.  CRGP were then appointed to design a scheme which improved the overall use of the buildings throughout the week as well as on Sundays.

The initial design concept was to link the 3 elements of the building together to provide a flexible facility which can be used for a variety of activities.  The major refurbishment works have provided the congregation and local community with much improved facilities including offices, church sanctuary and halls.

The 9 month contract was undertaken by W.H. Brown Construction and cost approx £700k (excluding VAT and fees).

CRGP provided the services of Architect, Contract Administrator, CDM Co-ordinator and Quantity Surveyor.

Photographs courtesy of David Mason.

Similar Projects
CRGP Sandyford Henderson Church 01

Sandyford Henderson Memorial Church

CRGP Glasgow Gurdwara 02 1

Glasgow Gurdwara

CRGP Langside Parish Church 3

Langside Parish Church, Glasgow

CRGP 7082 Tron Church 03

St George’s Tron Church, Glasgow

Show Buttons
Hide Buttons